Friday, June 23, 2006

School of Rock

I met up with the band setup last night around nine at a place called Central Oregon School of Rock. I walked into the old western looking building off of OB Riley Road on Bend's southwestern side of town and saw a hardwood floor, stage, old theater seats and a few people setting up gear.

Turns out the place was a non-profit school for kids and adults who want to rock. I met the owner and he gave me a tour while the band was setting up. "Right now the live rock n' roll music scene is horrible," said the man, "but wait five years when these kids are older, this town is going to be on the musical map and compete with Portland!"

It was inspiring.

I really didn't get a chance to learn the lyrics, so a majority of the time I stood and listen to the band play. The drummer has wild, afro-looking gray hair that reaches for everywhere around his head. He wore a camouflage visor and had on a whisky shirt.

I can see why this band needs someone with the lyrics, not caring how he/she sings. They get their cues from the singer. I'm not sure if it'll go anywhere or you'll see me on stage at a local pub with these guys. I'm still going to take singing lessons. This'd help me develop stage performance and continue on the long road ahead.

Have a great weekend!

3 Comments:

Blogger pril said...

hey there's an informal sort of blues society that jams up that way. I'll have to look around in my KBS paperwork but i'll see if i can find it for you. I actually jam with a lot of people who used to live in Bend.

June 23, 2006  
Blogger Salmonberry Bend, Oregon said...

Thanks Pril! I'l love to hear you jam with your friends next time you come town. Please let me know when you're north.

June 26, 2006  
Blogger pril said...

i havent been to Bend yet, but i'm ready to go check it out. But Grover Pizza & Pub in Bend has a blues jam Monday nights from 8 pm til midnight or so, and then there's a sort of anything goes jam at the Black Horse Saloon in Bend on Sundays from 4:30 to 9. So there's a couple of places to tune your pipes!

June 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home