Monday, July 31, 2006

Covering the Pixies

I decided to add another cover song to my personal set list from one of my all-time favorite bands, the godfathers of Indie music, the Pixies. I love their sound, uniqueness and impact on the music world.

I'm learning how to play Here Comes Your Man on my acoustic. While learning the song over the weekend I quickly discovered that it's a very complex to pick, strum and sing at the same time. It's easy to sing during the strumming part but very hard to sing during the trademark picking section of the chorus. It kind of feels like juggling knifes on a tight-rope, requiring balancing and precision with the split focus on two different instruments, my voice and the guitar.
I'm starting off by focusing my attention on the guitar part first. I think I got it. There are a few tricky double notes in there, but once you learn where they are it's smooth sailing. The signing part is a little tricky during the chorus, it took me a few times to learn where Frank Black chimes in.

This is going to be a very cool song to cover as a solo on acoustic. I'm excited to get the whole piece down. I want to have at least 20 songs down before I approach a band to be their frontperson. A long... Long ways to go from now, hopefully by early spring I'll be ready.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

What happened to focusing on songs on the Slider CD?

July 31, 2006  
Blogger Salmonberry Bend, Oregon said...

There aren't 20 songs on the Slider cd. I think the hardest song to cover acoustically is going to be the Radiohead song on that mix.

July 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home